September 2, 2013

It is good to praise the Lord - Psalm 92:1

STREAMS IN THE DESERT has a story attributed to Henry W. Frost of his being in a very dark place after receiving some bad news from home while away in China.  He prayed and tried to force himself into a better place but the "shadows only deepened".  He then tells of entering a missionary's home and seeing these words on the wall: "Try giving thanks".  He says, "so I did and in a moment every shadow was gone, never to return."  I realize this doesn't always happen, but it is a very good attitude to try.

You could substitute the word "bless" or "thank" for the word "praise"...they all come from the same root.  The psalmist was reminding us that it  is a good thing to say thanks to the Lord...good, because the Lord longs to hear that from us; good, because we will be the ones blessed when we do; good, because others will be helped when we do; good, because it will have a beneficial effect not only in our own lives, but in others' as well, and most especially good, because He is worthy of praise!

My favorite new Christian song is "This is Amazing Grace" by Phil Wickham.  Listen...

This is amazing grace; this is unfailing love
That you would take my place, that You would bear my cross
You laid down your life that I would be set free
Jesus I sing for all that you've done for me.
 
Between last week and this I week I'm doing a lot of singing...you should try it...it might work for you!
 
For further study:  Deu. 32:3, 1 Chron. 29:10-13, Psalm 1:1, 147:1, 150:6, 1 Thes. 5:18, Hebrews 13:15, James 5:13
 
Be blessed in your understanding of God's word.
 
Love,
Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment