September 17, 2013

Blessed are all who wait for the Lord - Isaiah 30:18

Of all the promises in the Bible, I find this one of the most comforting.  Waiting is not easy, but it is something you have to believe in...implicit in this promise is the faith of the one waiting...faith that the Lord will do the blessing...however that blessing looks.  I had a computer glitch this week...all my Word documents changed so that I could only open them by purchasing a new program...3 years of Word documents!  I got on a virtual chat with someone at Microsoft and she said it had happened within Microsoft and she could fix it, but she would have to "enter" my computer.  With some fear and trepidation, I allowed her "in" and the cursor began moving around as she did her work. I sat back and watched it happen! Well, lo and behold, it worked!  I had to be patient and trusting that she was who she said she was and that she would "bless" me with success!  If we will wait, the Lord who created us will "move our cursor around" and bless us!!  What a promise...in my own words, of course. 

There is a wonderful hymn "There Shall Be Showers of Blessing" written by Daniel Whittle.  Not "There Might be Showers..." but the promise that there "shall be"!  In THEN SINGS MY SOUL by Robert Morgan, he tells a story of a pilot whose plane was shot down in Vietnam and he was taken to a concentration camp.  In that camp, of course, he was deprived of all spiritual books or resources, so he reached deep into his soul for months bringing up the hymns he learned from childhood.  One night it started pouring rain and with the darkness all around him, he sang:

Showers of blessing, showers of blessing we need!
Mercy drops round us are falling, but for the showers we plead.
 
He wrote: "All this talk of Scripture and hymns may seem boring to some, but it was the way we conquered our enemy and overcame the power of death around us."  He lived to write a book of his experiences and we can live to tell of the blessings in our lives.  I love to tell people in the midst of trials: "watch for the blessings".  I have been there and the promises of God are true...He will bless if we will wait for him.
 
For further study:  Numbers 6:24, 2 Sam. 3:18, Psalm 1:1, 2:12, 84:5, Ezekiel 34:26, Luke 12:35-48, 2 Cor. 12:9, 2 Tim. 4:16, Titus 2:13, James 1:12
 
Be blessed in your understanding of God's word.
 
Love,
Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment