August 26, 2013

Sing from your heart...GIVE THANKS to God in all things - Eph. 5:19-20

I don't know about you...but when my circumstances are not good, neither is my song or my thanksgiving!  But our sweet friend, Paul, who was likely in prison in Rome when he wrote this, as usual, astounds us at his ability to praise his God in all circumstances!  He was writing to the believers in Ephesus and they were likely in better conditions than he was.

However, Paul was very clear in this chapter that he wanted them to live well...and to walk worthy of their relationship with the Lord.  In this particular passage, he was specifically talking about not being drunk on wine, but rather being "filled with the Spirit".  Singing and saying thanks, therefore, according to Paul, comes from being filled with the Spirit...it is not contrived or forced, but comes from a heart where joy dwells...that which is a fruit of the Spirit (Gal. 5:22-23).  Did you know
Proverbs 27:21 says: "...people are tested by their praise"?  If you took that test today, what would your grade be?  Is there a song and a word of thanksgiving coming out of my heart today, or is there some filling that needs to take place?  Am I grumbling about what is not going right in my life or praise because God knows the way that I take?  Am I spending more time thinking about the world or about the Lord?

Listen to Chris Tomlin:

How can I keep from singing Your praise
How can I ever say enough, how amazing is Your love
How can I keep from shouting Your name
I know I am loved by the King and it makes
my heart want to sing.
 
What song are you singing today?  We are given a priceless opportunity to be loved by the King...let's have our praise and thanksgiving be loud toward heaven.  He hears, you know.
 
For further study:  Deu. 32:1-4, 1 Sam. 16:7, 1 Chron. 16:25, Ps. 19:14, 30:4, 89:1, 101:1, Proverbs 4:23, Matthew 12:34, Acts 16:25, Col. 3:16-17.
 
Be blesssed in your understanding of God's word.
 
Love,
Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment