May 31, 2011

'TRUST IN THE LORD WITH ALL YOUR HEART..." - Proverbs 3:5

Solomon wrote much of the book of Proverbs.  He was the son of King David and Bathsheba (yes, the one David sinned with!) and became king after David's death.  In 1 Kings 3:5, the Lord appeared to King Solomon in a dream and said "Ask for whatever you want me to give you...".  In humility, the King did not ask for riches or fame, but in v. 9 asked for a "discerning heart to govern...and to distinguish between right and wrong."  And thus we have words in the Proverbs and other books written by a man with a "wise and discerning heart" who was inspired by God.

My Bible commentary says "our culture is glutted with information, but often starved for wisdom."  We would do well to follow Biblical principles more than we follow worldly principles.  Proverbs 3:5-6 is probably the verse I repeat to myself more than any other.  I have hidden it in my heart to remind to "TRUST in the Lord..." and NOT "lean on" my own understanding.  Trust means reliance on the integrity, strength or ability of a person or thing.  Leaning is the picture of putting your whole weight on something.

I once watched a talk show where a husband (who had been unfaithful) and a wife shared their experience.  The interviewer asked her, "can you trust him?" and the wife said, "no, but I trust God".
Who are you trusting today?

Rick Warren in THE PURPOSE DRIVEN LIFE says "Trusting God completely means having faith that He knows what is best for your life."  I believe the more you know about Him, the more you will trust Him.  He made us with a purpose and a plan...His history proves His wisdom; my history proves my foolishness!  I'm going with Him!

For further study:  Deuteronomy 4:29, 10:12, Job 38:36, Psalm 20:7, Psalm 51:10, Psalm 147:11, Proverbs 28:26,  Matthew 6:19-21, John 14:1, Hebrews 13:6

Be blessed in your understanding of God's word.

Love,
Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment