May 6, 2011

"Give thanks to the Lord..." Psalm 136:1

This psalm was written to be sung and to remind the people of God's mighty acts throughout history.  Could you sing a hymn of praise with as many verses of gratitude as these people did?  I surely could!  I would start by being grateful for the family I was raised in, for the Lord's protection when I was a "wild child" and didn't know Him as Savior, for my salvation and His grace, for a Godly husband who is healthy today and was diagnosed with Stage 4 cancer 3 years ago; I would sing praise for my privilege to be a mother to two young men who thrill us every day, for jobs, for His word...I would sing on and on!  I recently watched a YouTube video of the Kimyal tribe in Indonesia receiving Bibles - oh my what visible gratitude!

Nancy Leigh DeMoss, in her book CHOOSING GRATITUDE, says: "Gratitude is often the only difference between pervasive sadness and pure satisfaction".  I don't know about you, but I choose the latter.  Deborah Norville, in THANK YOU POWER, says: "many people are undone by crisis.  Grateful people aren't!"

Our faith tells us "every good and perfect gift is from above..." (James 1:17) and I for one can hardly wait to tell Him thanks!  If you need help getting started, go buy The Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir's CD "Declare Your Name".  A couple of the songs may just get you going!

For further study:  Psalm 95:2, Romans 1:21, 2 Corinthians 9:15, Philippians 4:6, Colossians 3:15-17, 1 Thessalonians 5:18, Hebrews 12:28.

Be blessed in your understanding of God's word!

Love,
Holly

1 comment:

  1. Well, little did I know you had this cute site and all these encouraging entries (that will be my new devotionals for the day) :)
    Love you,
    Laurie Henderson

    ReplyDelete