July 29, 2014

The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom - Psalm 111:10

The fear of the LORD is the beginning of
wisdom; all who follow his precepts have
good understanding...
 
One of my prayers for my leaders is that they would seek wisdom.  In fact, I find it difficult to vote for anyone I think would not seek wisdom from God, because I believe what Proverbs 2:6 says
 
For the Lord gives wisdom and from
his mouth come knowledge and understanding.
 
Bob Deffinbaugh says in his article on "The Wisdom of God"
 
Wisdom is based on knowledge...and cannot exist without a knowledge
of all the facts pertinent to any purpose or plan...God knows everthing...His
omniscience undergirds His wisdom.
 
There is no other person that that can be said of.  I think of Him as our GPS (God's Protection System).  He knows what has happened before I got here and He knows what will happen after I leave this earth.   Like our personal GPS systems, without His wisdom we can do nothing...nothing works without it.  I used to have only partial knowledge when I traveled...now, because I am committed to using my GPS, I can be in middle of a mess and it will lead me home.  It has happened many times...my directional faith comes from the history I have with this little black box.  I can choose to follow it or I can choose to go my own way...it's a choice I must make.  I believe God will guide me into wisdom because He has infinite wisdom...enough for me and all of you!
 
James 1:5 says "if anyone lacks wisdom, he should ask of God".  Now why do we need any other invitation than that...if I want "good understanding" He is my source.  Our verse today indicates a fear or awe of God is the beginning of wisdom.  Simply, that would be an acknowledgement of who He is, what He has said and done, and what He calls us, as His children, to do. If you have not received Jesus Christ as your Savior, His Spirit does not dwell within you and cannot guide you. My choice is, in humility, to consider His wisdom the only way to gain understanding and not to walk independent of Him.

How about you?

For further study:  1 Kings 3:5-14 and 4:29-34, Psalm 90:12, Proverbs 31:26, Jeremiah 10:12, Daniel 12:3, John 16:13, Colossians 2:3, 2 Timothy 3:14-15

Be blessed in your understanding of God's word.

Love
Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment