January 29, 2013

Fruit of the Spirit - Galatians 5:22-23

My heart is sad today, but I know I have a God who "longs to be gracious to me" (Isaiah 30:18) and who is "my refuge and strength" (Psalm 46:1) and I can quickly find JOY in His provision.  In Bible study this morning, we sang "I Know Whom I Have Believed":

I know not how this saving faith To me He did impart,
Nor how believing in His Word wrought peace within my heart.
 
This is no LOVE apart from that which we receive from the Spirit.  There is no JOY apart from that which we receive from the Spirit.   There is no PEACE apart from that which we receive from the Spirit.  You get the idea!  Paul tells us in Galatians 5 that we have a choice to live by the sinful nature or to live by the Spirit.  When we receive Jesus Christ as our Saviour, the indwelling Holy Spirit enables us to bear fruit as we live in the Spirit...the deeds we do in the flesh are puny and rotten apart from abiding in Him (John 15). 
 
When sorrow comes, we have to find some way to have hope for tomorrow.  This indwelling Spirit gives us that hope.  Sorrow doesn't have to be the last word.  My Streams in the Desert says "Sorrow come to stretch out places in the heart for JOY".  I prefer joy, so I'm willing to let my heart be stretched!
 
It's a mystery how this fruit develops.  I only know the opposite - the acts of the sinful nature - will keep me from inheriting the kingdom of God.  It is my deepest desire to be loving, joyful, peaceful, patient, kind, good, faithful, gentle and self-controlled.   I pray the same for you.
 
For further study:  Psalm 139:7, Isaiah 63:10, Ezekiel 36:26, Zechariah 4:6, John 14:26 and 16:13, Romans 8:5-8, 1 Corinthians 2:14, Colossians 1:9-14, 2 Tim. 1:7, Hebrews 6:19, 1 John 5:11-12.
 
Be blessed in your understanding of God's word.
 
Love,
Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment