January 7, 2013

Be still and know that I am God - Psalm 46:10

My fabric shelves have recently been purged and cleaned and what a satisfying experience that was!  I had gotten to where I didn't know what I had or how anything fit together.  It took much of the joy away to have so much chaos staring me in the face!

I believe our minds are that way.  We have so much noise going on that we don't make wise choices.  We're always connected to something or someone and we need to quiet our souls.

Psalm 46:10 has always been a favorite of mine - in fact you may remember I wrote on it last year and even included a sign over our mantle.  You can tell it is a recurring issue with me.  Psalm 131 has a similar message and it gives us a clue as to how we get to a place of not being still - pride, haughtiness ,ambition, going after impossibilities, etc.  David, in this psalm, resolved to not be any of these things because he was a man after God's own heart.

David Powlison in Stress: Peace Amid Pressure, says this kind of composure is learned or mastered.  He says:

Such purposeful quiet is achieved, not spontaneous.
It is conscious, alert and chosen.  It is a form of
self-mastery by the grace of God...""
 
Just as Jesus calmed the storm in Mark 4, He can calm the storm in our hearts.  We must make Him more a part of our lives (inner and outer) than that noise we are connected to.  Have you seen the bumper sticker: "Know God, Know Peace"?
 
Join me in cleaning out to start this new year.  Get rid of the clutter and know Him as Lord!
 
For further study: Psalm 37:7,  Psalm 62:1, Psalm 119:163, John 14:27, Colossians 3:15, Galatians 5:22-23, Philippians 4:7,9, 2 Tim 2:22, Hebrews 4:3, James 4:1-3, 2 Peter 1:4.
 
Be blessed in your understanding of God's word.
 
Love,
Holly



No comments:

Post a Comment