July 10, 2015

Dwell in the shelter of the Most High; rest in the shadow of the Almighty - Ps. 91:1

One of the things I have loved about getting older is that my convictions become clearer.  Some around me might not appreciate that about me, but I don't struggle with the grey areas as much as I used to.  You will be glad to know that I am also trying to be more gracious in sharing my convictions...I am quite aware not many really want to know them or hear them!

One of the things I've become convinced of is the law of cause and effect.  I haven't always wanted to acknowledge that the things we do bring results...one way or the other.  I am grateful to have lived in the world - and sometimes "of" it - long enough to come to realize we get to choose the standards we live by.  I choose to live my life by Biblical standards.  One of the Bible's best "cause and effect" principles is that obedience = blessing.  One of the first places it is mentioned is in Deuteronomy 30:16:

I command you today to love the Lord your
God, to walk in obedience to him, and to keep
his commands...and the Lord your God will bless you... 

I believe our pillow verse today is  a similar "cause and effect" principle.  When we "dwell" (remain or abide; see previous blog)  with our Lord, the result will be rest.  The word used for rest in the Old Testament denotes "peaceful living".  As I look around me today, I see so little "peaceful living" happening, sometimes in my own heart.  If I am not obedient to dwell with the Lord, the result will not be peaceful living.  Beth Moore says in her daily devotion book:

Obedience to our Father's commands
is the key to immunity from the enemy.

The enemy will convince us because culture/society is changing, we should be changing too...go with the flow, he will say.  The truth is there are all kinds of things that entangle me to keep me from obedience, and I let them.  No one forces me to make idols of material things, no one forces me to put selfish pleasure in front of time with God, no one forces me to learn principles from magazines...those are choices I make.  And I do not continue to make them any longer.

God does not change and His principles shown us in His word do not change.  Culture can and will make their own choices.  My security or freedom is not in rejecting Him, but obeying Him.  Why?  Because Psalm 91 goes on to say if we make Him our dwelling then His angels will "guard" us in all our ways.  That's my hope...what is yours?

For further study:  Deuteronomy 6:3, 1 Samuel 15:22, Psalm 1:1-6, Psalm 119:34, John 15:10, Acts 5:29,  Galatians 5:24-25, Hebrews 12:1-3, 1 Peter 1:14, 2 John 6.

May you be blessed in your understanding of God's word.

Love,
Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment