May 20, 2014

Seek first the kingdom of God... - Matt. 6:33


What we see depends mainly on
what we look for
John Lubbock
Sometimes my "seer" - that part of me that gets obsessive about something I want - gets very misguided.  And that's probably a little more generous than I ought to be.  Regardless of what the world tells us we should be looking for, truthfully, "the heart is deceitful above all things" (Jer. 17:9).  Unless we set our hearts on looking for righteousness, we will never find it.  And unless the Holy Spirit inhabits your heart, it cannot be set on anything good.
 
Jesus knew that would be the case so, in the Sermon on the Mount, he taught his disciples about seeking after important things and letting the other stuff come to us - things like food, our bodies and our clothing. He knows exactly what we need every minute of our lives.  Oh we have surely gotten offcourse, haven't we - or is it just me?  In another passage in Luke 12:15-21 Jesus tells a parable about a man building bigger barns to store all his his crops.   Does that sound familiar?  Do you see all the new storage places going up?  That man's life was taken in an instant and ours can be as well.  My desire is not that our children will have to get rid of the stuff in my barns!
 
Max Lucado in TRAVELING LIGHT says:
 
Heaven doesn't know you as the fellow with the nice suit
or the woman with the big house.  Heaven knows your heart...
When God thinks of you, He may see your compassion, your
devotion, your tenderness or quick mind, but He doesn't
think of your things.
 
So I have to honestly ask myself today:  "what am I seeking first today?"...because that is likely what I will find.
 
For further study:  Deuteronomy 4:29, 1 Samuel 16:7, 1 Chronicles 28:8-9, Isaiah 55:6, Matthew 5:6, 2 Cor. 7:1, Romans 14:17, 1 Timothy 6:6-11, Rev. 21:6-7.
 
Be blessed in your understanding of God's word.
 
Love,
Holly
 


No comments:

Post a Comment