March 11, 2014

God's plans are...to give you hope; seek Him with all your heart - Jer. 29:11-13

"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord,
'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and
a future.  Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me
and I will listen to you.  You will seek me and find me
when you seek me with all your heart.'"
Jer. 29:11-13
 
Our friend, Jeremiah, had a difficult task...in fact it never really got any easier.  He had to speak truth about judgment to a people who continued to oppose him.  In fact, the book of Lamentations, following the book of Jeremiah, is purported to be his "lament" over the people and their refusal to listen.  Jeremiah, in our verse today, is trying to tell them the good news if they would only listen and respond.  His plans for them and for us today are that we would trust in Him and His word.  He has given us the standard for His blessings in His word.  Jeremiah was determined to live the life God had planned for him to live.
 
I recently read a story in DECISION magazine about a Christian couple who owned a bakery in Oregon.  They had been very successful and were steadily growing.  One day they didn't accept business from a family that would cause them to violate their Christian beliefs.  There are times that I have declined business from someone who wanted me to embroider something other than Scriptures...there are others who can do those...I choose to do only Scriptures.  That was just my covenant with the Lord.  The couple began to get protestors, very bad, dishonest reviews and threats against their small bakery and family.  They have been threatened with fines and business has declined.  He says: "What is happening is hostility toward righteousness.  I'm not saying I have a righteousness of my own, but I am trying to live according to God's word...The Lord can and will deliver us through this.  Even if the state throws the book at us, and we lose everything, we will be OK."
 
I have chosen to make God's word my standard.  Jesus died to set us free and not to be forced to live bound up by a changing society.  God's plans for us are good...He loves us with an everlasting love...He will never leave us or forsake us.  He calls us into a relationship with Himself...the only way we can have the power to do anything right...and says He will walk with us through every day of our lives.  I want to be as courageous as this couple in Oregon.  Listen to a stanza from "I'd Rather Have Jesus" by Reah Miller:
 
I'd rather have Jesus than men's applause; I'd rather be faithful to His dear cause;
I'd rather have Jesus than worldwide fame.  I'd rather be true to His holy name.
Than to be the king of a vast domain or be held in sin's dread sway.
I'd rather have Jesus than anything this world affords today.
 
For further study:  Judges 21:25, Psalm 33:11, Isaiah 46:10-11, Daniel 4:34-37,  Matthew 16:24-27, Romans 1:21-32, Ephesians 2:10, Philippians 4:8-9, Colossians 3:17,  James 1:17.
 
Be blessed in your understanding of God's word.
 
Love,
Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment