January 9, 2014

The Lord is My Shepherd - Ps. 23:1

This is one of my favorite verses - in fact I wrote on it just this past July - and it is frequently made up in my pillows.  As the New Year begins, I am trying to be honest with myself about who I listen to, who I yield to and who I honor with my behavior and habits.  Don spoke last night in our Wednesday Bible study on the Eph. 5 passage on women submitting to their husbands.  I had to say to myself..."do you show him that you are joyful about your yielding to him?".  In other words, who is my leader...who do I follow...do they see a stubborn or cheerful heart?

Our society as a whole today tends to not want to be led...the role of President, CEO, Director is much harder because we tend to want to be independent...we can be our own bosses, we think our opinions are smarter than our boss.  The truth is we are not much different than those adorable (and stubborn) sheep...we need to be led.  David, the shepherd, knew that and that knowledge, I'm sure, came in handy when he became the King.

Phillip Keller says our view of our Lord is "too small"...

"..too cramped-too provincial-too human.  And
because it is we feel unwilling to allow Him to have
authority or control - much less outright ownership
of our lives."
 
 
Christ's power can't rest on us (2 Cor. 12:9) without His having ownership of us.  His redeeming work in our lives has entitled Him to be our Lord and we - who have been bought at a price - ought to be grateful and follow wherever He leads.  I am in need of my Savior and He is most worthy of my praise and my thanks.  Who will you follow today?
 
For further study:  Psalm 25:5, 100:3, Isaiah 40:11, 53:6, Jer. 31:10, Matt. 9:36 John 10:1-18,  1 Pet. 2:23-25, 1 Peter 5:4
 
Be blessed in your understanding of God's word.
 
Love,
Holly
 


No comments:

Post a Comment