April 2, 2013

How great is the love the Father has lavished upon us - 1 John 3:1

Matthew West has a song out "Hello, My name is..." and it begins by describing how we can be identified by the regrets in our lives, or the defeats, or the lies.  We allow hard times and mistakes to define us, but we don't have to let the "wreckage behind" stay with us when His word calls us "children of God".  Listen to what he says:
 
Hello, my name is child of the one true King
I've been saved, I've been changed,and I have been set free.
"Amazing Grace" is the song I sing.
Hello, my name is child of the one true King.
What love the Father has lavished upon us
That we should be called His children.
I am a child of the one true King.
 
Have you ever lavished whipped cream on an ice cream sundae?  The love the Father has lavished upon us is better than a million helpings of whipped cream.  This isn't the kind of love you can make up...this is agape love.  Vine's concordance says "...this is an exercise of the Divine will in deliberate choice, made without assignable cause save that which lies in the nature of God Himself."  We are loved not because of anything we are or do...we are loved because "God is love" (1 John 4:16).
 
Mark Driscoll tells a story in WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE? about the German theologican, Karl Barth.  He was visiting the United States on a lecture tour and at one point was asked what was the single most important theological discovery he had made.  Driscoll says: "after stopping to consider his answer carefully, Barth said "Jesus loves me, this I know, for the Bible tells me so".  So profound and so simple...a child's song speaking this transforming truth.
 
You are loved by the Creator of the world...the next time you are tempted to define yourself in a negative sense, remember this:  "You are a child of the one true King"!
 
For further study:  Exodus 20:4-6, Psalm 32:10, Psalm 36:5, Psalm 103:11, Psalm 107, Jeremiah 31:3, John 1:12, John 15:9-17, Romans 5:8, Ephesians 2:4-5, 1 John 4:16-21
 
Be blessed in your understanding of God's word.
 
Love,
Holly 

No comments:

Post a Comment