October 23, 2012

The word of our God stands forever - Isaiah 40:8

When Don and I first married, I knew my life experiences had thus far not prepared me to be a Biblical teacher to the women of our church.  However, I loved the Lord and I loved Don, and He had a plan for me which He slowly began to unfold.  I knew less about the Bible than most of the women in our church and so the Lord placed Precept Bible Study in my life.  I became trained to organize - not teach - a class and began to learn right along with the other women.  I was absolutely amazed at the truths contained in God's word and by His Holy Spirit, I began to hide His word in my heart.  Now, 28 years later, I can't imagine living a single day without His instruction or encouragement from the Scriptures.  I consider it a great honor and privilege whenever asked to teach today.

His word is reliable and true.  Listen to an unknown writer:
 
This book is the mind of God, the state of man, the way of salvation,
the doom of sinners, and the happiness of believers.  Its doctrines
are holy, its precepts are binding; its histories are true,
and its decisions are immutable.  Read it to be wise, believe
it to be safe, practice it to be holy.  It contains light to direct you,
food to support you, and comfort to cheer you.   It is the traveler's map,
the pilgrim's staff, the pilot's compass, the soldier's sword, and the
Christian's character.  Here paradise is restored; heaven opened and the
gates of hell disclosed.  Christ is its grand subject, our good its design,
and the glory of God its end.  It should fill the memory, rule the heart, and guide the feet.
Read it slowly,  frequently,  prayerfully.  It is a mine of wealth, a paradise of
glory, and a river of pleasure.  Follow its precepts and it will lead you to Calvary,
to the empty tomb, to a resurrected life in Christ; yes, to glory itself, for eternity."
 
As the election approaches, you would do well to fill your prayers with words that the Lord gives us.  This verse tells us all else will fail eventually, God's word never will. 
 
For further study:  Deut. 11:18-21, 2 Sam. 22:31, Ps. 119:9-11, 105, Isaiah 55:10-12, John 15:5-8, John 16:13, Colossians 3:16-17, 2 Tim. 2:15, 2 Tim. 3:16-17, 2 Peter 1:3-10.
 
Be blessed in your understanding of God's word.
 
Love,
Holly

 


No comments:

Post a Comment