September 6, 2012

"Love the Lord our God with all your heart...soul...strength" - Deu. 6:5

When I was growing up, I knew about God.  That suited me just fine - I lived most of my days, until about 30, settling for "a little bit of God".  But then I read John Stott's BASIC CHRISTIANITY and I learned what it meant to surrender all of me.  My life changed at that point because the Lord began to shape - from the inside out - my attitudes, my habits, my behavior, my relationships and much more.

Toby Mac in his song "Steal My Show" talks about what he says to the Lord before a concert:

"If you wanna steal my show
I'll sit back and watch you go;
if you got somethin to say
go on and take it away."
 
To love the Lord with everything we have means to give Him the reigns, to let Him lead, to surrender our selfish ways, and to let Him receive ALL the glory.  It means what Jesus said in Luke 9:
 
"If anyone would come after me, he must
deny himself and take up his cross daily
and follow me."
 
Anything else we love more than Him is a worthless idol.  I'm singing with Toby Mac - it's His show anyway!
 
For further study:  Joshua 22:5, Psalm 42:1, Jeremiah 31:33, Matthew 22:34-40, Luke 7:36-50, Luke 9:23-24, John 14:15, Phillippians 1:9, 1 Peter 2:11.
 
Be blessed in your understanding of God's word.
 
Love,
Holly



No comments:

Post a Comment