August 7, 2012

"Stand firm in the Lord" - Philippians 4:1

Paul - with tears in his eyes - in the preceding verses of Chapter 3 was exhorting genuine believers to not live as enemies of the cross of Christ whose minds were on earthly things.  In 4:1, he pleads with them to "stand firm in the Lord" and live responsible Christian lives.  If we stand firm in anything else, we are doomed to failure.

While watching the 2012 Summer Olympics, I have realized how hard it is to "stand firm", especially in the gymnastics competition.  The term "stick" is used when you can firmly plant your feet without an extra step - especially to either side.  I take a alot of extra steps - I call them distractions and they get me off course...of course I LET them get me off course.  To stand firm is to stay focused and do exactly what is right.

Peter, in Matthew 14:28-31, gave us a perfect example of veering off course.  He was firmly planted - even on the water - as long as he kept his eyes on Jesus.  But the minute he focused somewhere else, down he went!

So how do we "stick"?  By focusing on God's word, being diligent in prayer and Bible study and saying no to the things that lead us astray.  I know what those things are in my life, and when I entertain them or allow them into my day, down I go!

For further study:  Exodus 14:13-14, Psalm 40:2, Isaiah 30:21, Matthew 10:22, John 15:5, 1 Corinthians 15:58, Ephesians 6:11-18, 2 Thes. 2:15, James 5:8, 1 Peter 5:8-9.

Be blesssed in your understanding of God's word.

Love,
Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment