November 20, 2011

"In everything we give thanks to you, Lord"

I have to once again confess this isn't a scripture (although it's awfully close to 1 Thes. 5:18!) but a song by the Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir that always inspires me.  This year - more than almost any other year - I have so much to GIVE THANKS for.  On this Thanksgiving week, to whom do you GIVE THANKS?  The clerk in the grocery store?  The one who prepares your turkey?  Yourself for the good work you've done?
Psalm 136 says:

                                            "Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good
                                            his love endures forever."

When we GIVE THANKS to the Lord, we make Him our focus.  Our thoughts are elevated from ourselves to Him.  That pleases Him.  It puts Him in the right place...and ourselves looking up to Him.  Life is often hard.  The Lord Jesus gave thanks even the night before he knew he was facing death (1 Cor. 11:24).  Giving thanks takes our minds off what we want and puts them on what we do have.  It takes such little effort to GIVE THANKS and gives such great pleasure.  This day and every day, I want my heart to be very aware that "great is the Lord and most worthy of praise".  These are a few of the things I GIVE THANKS for this Thanksgiving:

1.  I GIVE THANKS for a hernia that Don will have surgery on tomorrow because he was diagnosed with Stage 4 cancer four years ago and we didn't think he would even be alive today.  I also GIVE THANKS for a surgeon who loves the Lord and found the original cancer and knew what to do immediately.

2.  I GIVE THANKS for our boys who are walking with the Lord and for two special young women who are walking with them.  I also GIVE THANKS because they are both getting paychecks!

3.  I GIVE THANKS for our church family that prays and cares for us and each other so beautifully.

4.  I GIVE THANKS for my God who continues to chip away at my weaknesses and imperfections.

5.  I GIVE THANKS for children in our church who are eager to love Jesus and sing about him.

6.  I GIVE THANKS for a President who has a very difficult job but is not afraid to quote references from the Bible.

7.  I GIVE THANKS that Jesus is our "better hope".  I will not despair at the condition of our world or the people in it, because He is sufficient for our every need.

I agree with a prayer read in Bible study this week:  "...my little vessel is as full as it can be"!  I will GIVE THANKS to the One to whom it is rightfully due.

For further study:  1 Chronicles 16:8, Psalm 95:2, Psalm 100:4, Psalm 136, Philippians 4:6,  1 Thess. 5:18,  Hebrews 12:29

Be blessed in your understanding of God's word and HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!

Love,
Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment