October 12, 2011

"The world will pass away...but those who obey God will live forever." - 1 John 2:17

"All I know is I'm not home
...this is not where I belong.
Take this world and give me Jesus.
This is not where I belong."
WHERE I BELONG by Building 429

I just love this song!  I heard it in the car and was blown away by the message.  Why in the world (#!?) would I hold on to things that I can't hold on to and be reluctant to grasp the eternal reward that awaits me?  Jesus says in John 8:29: "The one who sent me is with me...for I always do what pleases him."  He is our model...He did the will of God in all parts of His earthly life.  He did not serve His own purposes...He did not seek His own comfort.  He was always working toward drawing others to His Father.

Our purpose in the world is not to accumulate wealth or fame.  Our purpose is to do God's will and "declare His praises" (1 Peter 2:9).  Not only is that our purpose, but that is what satisfies...not tinny, cheap pleasures.
A.W. Tozer in THE PURSUIT OF GOD says:

"It is not what man does that
determines whether his work is sacred or secular,
it is why he does it.  The motive is everything."

Jesus' motive was to do on earth what the Father gave Him to do.  Our purpose on earth is to do what God has prepared us to do (Eph 2:10).  Do you know what that is?  Have you asked Him to show you?  I get so derailed in my day-to-day living - thinking I am here for my own good pleasure!  Is my work really to make sure my shoes match my purse!  Good heavens, what am I thinking!!

Oswald Chambers (9/25) says we have "...only one purpose - I am here for God to send me where He will."  We get drawn into the world and ITS purposes for us.  We begn to think and act like the world instead of the "set apart" ones that God has chosen His children to be.

Chuck Colson in THE GOOD LIFE says:

"The good life turns out to be
life fulfilled in Christ, for now and
eternity.  It's everything we most want:
purpose, meaning, relationship,
truth and love."

Why do we look other places?  "Take the world and give me Jesus"!

For further study: Deu. 30:15-16, Isaiah 40:8, Matthew 6:19-34, Matt. 16:26, John 15:19, John 17:13-19, Romans 12:1-2, 1 Cor. 10:31, 1 Tim. 6:6-7, 1 Peter 2:9-12

Be blessed in your understanding of God's word.

Love,
Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment