August 22, 2011

"Sing to the Lord..." - Psalm 30:4

Singing is an important form of communication.  Think about the places you sing:  worship, birthdays, sporting events, weddings, funerals.  When you sincerely sing, you are communicating certain truths.  I sing in church (songs of worship).  I sing in my car (songs of praise, Neil Diamond, "Mama Mia"...).  I sing because I love to sing...I don't think I ever realized what a spirt-lifter music in general is.  I find I don't sing when I'm sad, although that's probably exactly when I should!

The Hebrew word in this verse is zamar, to make music, to praise in song.  This is what I think happens when we sing to the Lord:

-- The Lord is pleased when we worship Him with our voice
-- Our hearts are humbled and grateful for who he is
-- We are hopeful when love and joy well up within
---His Spirit strengthens us and sets us back on the right path
-- The cares of the world are diminished
-- Satan flees

In my daily quiet time, I begin my time with the Lord by singing in my head.  I find it helps me to disengage the world and engage with Him.  In Deuteronomy 31:19-22, God told Moses to write down a song and teach it to the people to remind them about Him.  We see in Zephaniah 3:17 that God himself  "rejoices...in singing".  Doesn't it make sense that we, who are being transformed into His likeness (2 Cor. 3:18), would worship and honor Him by singing to Him?  Maybe the real question isn't "are you singing?", but "do you have a song to sing?".

For further study: 2 Chronicles 20:20-21, Psalm 63:5, Psalm 68:4, Psalm 96:1-3, Psalm 100:1-2, Acts 16:22-30, Colossians 3:16, Ephesians 5:19-20, Hebrews 13:15.

Be blessed in your understanding of God's word.

Love,
Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment