July 27, 2011

"I CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH CHRIST WHO GIVES ME STRENGTH" - Phil. 4:13

"Sometimes I feel so all alone
Sometimes I feel my hope is gone
My situation can't keep me down
Cause there is power in these words I've found"
Nicole C. Mullen "Captivated" CD

Nicole Mullen's song about Phil. 4:13 struck me as I was driving home from Indiana by myself.  Don had driven up with me, but I assured him it was no big deal to drive home without him - or so it seemed!  The reality of it was that there was danger all along the way, and it reminded me as I listened to this song,  of how similar this road trip was to the journey of life.  Some examples:

Circumstances Beyond Our Control - As soon as I left our condo Sunday morning, a huge storm hit right in the middle of Chicago and for 3 hours I was near panic in the pouring rain as cars raced past me.  I felt so shakey and out of control.  There were people who gave up along the way and pulled over, but I was more afraid to do that than to plow along.  I pleaded with the Lord to keep me safe.  "Guide me, oh thou great Jehovah" was uttered out loud several times.  God is in control of our circumstances even when we are not.

Wrong Turns - In almost every large city, I made wrong turns.  I had to decide to face my mistake and to turn around or to make the best of it and go to Plan B.  It was important in each instance to be aware of what I had done wrong, to stop and make the adjustment to get back on the right path.  Sometimes it delayed the trip, but it was always the right thing to do.

Times of Vulnerability - My most dangerous times along the way were when I was distracted and not paying attention  At one point the day before, I had placed my purse on the front seat and then, while talking to a friend, hit the "lock door" button and forgot about it until we closed all the doors and there was my purse with keys on the front seat!  While near panic, I realized I had put the keys in my pants pocket!  Thank you, Lord!  When my mind was somewhere else, or the traffic about me was chaotic, I often missed an exit or a turn.  Quick decisions were often wrong decisions.

People Along the Way to Encourage - I was encouraged along the way to have policemen present to help - happily I didn't need them, but I was grateful they were there.  In one toll booth, I didn't read the signs (another comparison to life!), and it said "coins only" and I arrived at the pot with bills!  The nice lady next door stopped what she was doing and handed me coins and even called me "sugar" so I didn't think I was an idiot!  There were trucks that I followed along the way when I couldn't see anything ahead.  My cell phone had people at the other end and our boys provided hugs along the way.  I listened to Christian music, always being exhorted by the contemporary artists to keep my eyes on the Lord.

One of my favorite Scriptures, and I know I've mentioned it before, is Ezekiel 47:1-12.  It reminds us that health comes from the living waters of the Lord.  I called out to Him many times on the trip, to help me and give me wisdom.  Deadness comes when we think we can do it all without Him.  He had a plan for me on this trip - to hear Him, to follow Him, and to glorify Him - as He does for each of our lives.  The storms of trips and of life make us ever more grateful when the sun comes out and we can see the road ahead.  "Anything which leads us to cry unto God is a blessing to us." Charles Spurgeon.  My trip was blessed!

For further study:  Exodus 15:13, Joshua 1:9, Psalm 23:1-4, Proverbs 3:5-6, Isaiah 30:21, Isaiah 55:7, Isaiah 58:11, Galatians 5:16, Philippians 3:12, Hebrews 10:23.

Be blessed in your understanding of God's word.

Love,
Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment